June, 2014 | Blog
Schedule A Review Click to Call
The Sanford Group

10150 Ball Ground Hwy,
Ste 101,
Ball Ground, GA 30107

Get Directions

  P.O. Box 374
Ball Ground, GA 30107

The Sanford Group Insurance Blog

Can a non-resident foreigner get auto insurance from a US company to cover rental cars?

Visiting the United States for a vacation or travel can be complicated when it is necessary to rent a car. Even though a foreign license can be used in the rental office, it is important to comply with the state auto insurance laws to avoid any complications during the trip.

Short-Term Coverage

During a short-term vacation, such as one or two weeks, it may be more appropriate to purchase rental car insurance rather than a full auto insurance policy because the trip is short enough that additional coverage is not necessary.

A policy that is designed for a rental vehicle can be more expensive over the long-term, but it is generally appropriate for a short trip because it is specifically designed for the rental vehicle.

Long-Term Plans

Renting a car for an extended period of time after obtaining an international driving permit can require an alternative solutions. Any stay that exceeds a few weeks, such as a two or three months trip for business or to visit family members who live in the United States, may require an auto policy that is more comprehensive or appropriate for the situation.

The best policy can depend on the situation, but generally auto insurance will comply with state minimum requirements and may offer additional measures to further protect the vehicle, the driver and the passengers. Even as a non-resident, it is possible to obtain a policy as long as the appropriate international driving permit is obtained.

Insurance is a necessary part of driving a car and is usually required by state laws. Recognizing the best plan and the options can be important, even during an international visit. Contact us to speak to an agent to learn more about the options that are available.

Will auto insurance pay to repair damage I caused?

If you take a look at your auto insurance policy, you’ll note that it’s broken into several sections. Each section covers various scenarios that might occur in auto accidents. Selecting appropriate coverage for each section is crucial if you want to make sure you have financial protection in the event there’s an accident. If you’re at fault in an accident, the collision and liability section of your policy comes in handy –especially if you damage your own vehicle.

Liability Insurance

Liability insurance pays for repairs if you’re at fault in an accident. It pays up to your policy’s property limits. So, if the repairs cost more than the property limits in your policy, you might need to pay the rest out of your pocket. Also, liability coverage doesn’t’ pay for damage you cause to your own vehicle. This is the reason that it’s important to make sure you have enough insurance coverage. Getting caught with insufficient coverage can be financially devastating.


If you wreck your car, collision insurance pays for the repairs. This includes if you hit an object that’s not moving, or if you’re at fault when you collide with another vehicle. Collision also pays for the repairs if someone hits your car while it’s parked.


Collision insurance often comes with a deductible amount. You’ll need to pay this amount first before your coverage kicks in. Think carefully when you select deductibles on your policy. While a higher deductible might translate to a savings of a few dollars, that savings will quickly disappear if you can’t afford your deductible. If your car is worth less than your deductible, or if its value is close to the deductible, collision insurance might not pay. This is another reason you need to weigh your deductible options carefully.

If you’re looking for auto insurance in Canton or Ball Ground, GA, give us a call. Our licensed agents are experienced in finding the best coverage at affordable prices in Cherokee County.

Additional Services

  • Identity Theft
  • Data Backup
  • Special Event Insurance
  • Specialty Auto Insurance
  • Rental Reimbursement
  • Towing
  • Medical Payments Coverage
  • Minor Violation Forgiveness
  • Roadside Assistance
  • Individual & Family Health Insurance
  • Group Health Insurance
  • Long-Term Care Insurance
  • Medical Expense Insurance
  • HSAs
  • Other Services
    • Permit Services
    • License Services
    • Notary Services

Partner Carriers

  • AAA
  • American Collectors
  • American Modern
  • AmTrust
  • Bristol West
  • Dairyland
  • Donegal
  • Encompass
  • Foremost
  • Grange
  • Guard
  • Haulers
  • Heritage
  • Infinity
  • Mercury
  • MetLife
  • Nationwide
  • NCCI
  • Progressive
  • Safeco
  • Travelers
  • Zurich